Rapper Mac Miller’s cause of death has been revealed, following an autopsy which was conducted at Los Angeles County Medical Examiner’s Office.
An accidental overdose of fentanyl, cocaine and alcohol is said to be Mac Miller’s cause of death. The toxicology report which was obtained by USA TODAY, revealed the rapper, 26, died of “multiple drug toxicity”.
From the result, it was gathered that though the amount of each individual drug in his system was not enough to kill him, the combination of the three was.
Mac Miller whose death came just a few months after his breakup with longtime girlfriend Ariana Grande, and just weeks after the release of his well-received album “Swimming”, publicly struggled with substance abuse. He was found unresponsive in his Los Angeles-area home on Sept. 27, and pronounced dead of an apparent overdose at the scene at 11:51 a.m.
Fentanyl, a powerful painkiller that tends to be cheaper and more potent than heroin, has played a major part in the USA’s opioid crisis. An estimated 200 people die of overdoses every day, according to the US Drug Enforcement Administration.
The singer Prince had taken fentanyl before his death in 2016. The drug was also a factor in the fatal overdose suffered by rapper Lil Peep in November 2017.